Fiesta- Cactus

I wanted a backdrop to take pictures at our daddy-daughter Fiesta.  I found a tan sheet at Savers then looked around for some cactus to add.  Styrofoam is ridiculously expensive for this project.  My brilliant sister suggested SWIM NOODLES!  ($7 at walmart for 1 big & 1 little) 
Supplies: 
2 green swim noodles
black spray paint
duct tape
2 hangers
50-100 toothpicks

When we started putting them together the hangers we used to shape them kept poking through.  My genius husband suggested doubling the hanger (not sure why this works, but it does!).   We also put duct tape along the hangers then put them in the noodles and bent them to shape. 
I left a little hanger showing so that it would stick into the base.  I had to shape the ends a little so they'd wrap around the base, then used hot glue to keep them in place.   For cutting the noodles, just a regular bread knife worked. 
Finally, I spray painted toothpicks black. 
*Note- the paint blows the toothpicks all over the place.  After the fact, my husband suggested putting the toothpick tips along a piece of tape and taping them to the newspaper. 
We used full toothpicks along the base and cut the toothpicks in half for the "arms".   We only put toothpicks on one side.  It was a great suggestion by my sister because it made them easier to transport. 
Fun Fiesta prop-  but it's a dangerously prickly weapon!   




No comments:

Post a Comment